Wednesday, 5 November 2014

Dal Dhokli as well as my 50th Blog Post

Being my 50th post, I would like to share my experience about my blog. Blogging started for me as a place to write and keep my experiences about cooking while I am / was learning, and I am happy that its now reached to 5oth post. I would also like to tell that the appreciation I am receiving from my reader / blogger friends is helping me in making my blog more better, and also I have been learning a lot through reading and following other food blogs.

Let's move on to the recipe...
Actually being confused what to make for my 50th blog, my husband suggested me to make this dish. So today, I am sharing, a authentic Gujarati  dish called Dal Dhokli. Dal Dhokli is a traditional Gujarati Delicacy, prepared with tuvar dal and lots of add ons. Its a perfect one pot meal, perfect for Sunday lunch.  Here in my husband's place, its generally made on weekends for lunch and accompanied with khakra{brushed with ghee and red chili powder}, and it tastes truly delicious, whereas, in my mothers place its eaten just the way it is, and made for dinner time.

There are Few steps to prepare this dish, and it takes quite a long time to prepare, So I am dividing each step with its ingredients and method one by one.

Step 1:
For dal:
Ingredients:
Tuvar daal 1 cup
Water 2 - 3 cups
Method:
Wash tuvar dal under running water. Add 2 cups of water and pressure cook for nearly 5 whistles or until dal is done. 

Once pressure releases, open and mash the dal with a dal masher. Leave no thick dal piece. 

Now add 1 cup of water into it and keep ready aside.

Step 2:
For Dhokli:
Ingredients:
Atta / whole wheat flour 1 cup
Salt as per taste
Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
Red chili powder 1/2 tsp
Oil 1 tbsp
Water needed for kneading

Method:
In a bowl, take atta, add salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder, oil and add water and knead to form a smooth dough. Keep it aside covering for 15 minutes.

Before starting to prepare Dal Dhokli next in Step 3 - we have to prepare the Dhokli. For that take the dough, knead a bit again and make small balls of it. Now take a ball, pat with your fingers like keeping the ball on the left hand palm and tapping with your right fingers. This is called as "Thepwanu" in Gujarati. Do the same for the remaining dough. It will take long time, so better to sit comfortably, and complete.
{TipIf its taking a lot of time to pat and do, then do the remaining patting by covering the dough with a lid or cloth, as it will start to become dry and lose it softness}.
{Tip: If it is difficult to do by patting way, then you can make medium size ball, roll it to a roti, and cut into diamond shape and continue, but patting is a traditional way}.

Now let's complete the final part of making dal dhokli.
Step 3
For Dal Dhokli:
Ingredients:
Readied Dal
Readied Dhokli
Salt as per taste
Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
Red chili powder 1/2 tsp
Green chili - Ginger paste 1 tbsp
Kokum 1 to 2 pieces { soaked in hot water}
Jaggery 1 tbsp
Lemon Juice 1 tbsp
Method:
Take a deep pan, add the dal that we have kept ready with water. Allow it to simmer on slow flame for 2 minutes. Now add salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder, green chili - ginger paste, kokum, jaggery and mix well and allow it to simmer.

Now lets prepare the tempering.
Step 4:
For tempering:
Ingredients:
Oil 1tbsp
Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds just like a pinch or 5 seeds so {we don't want bitter taste}
Asafoetida a pinch
Curry leaves few
Dry Red chili 1
Method:
In a tempering pan, heat oil. Once heated added mustard seeds. As it starts crackling, add cumin seeds, asafoetida, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves and dry red chili.

Now pour it over the dal that is being simmer. 
Let the dal be simmering in slow flame.

Meanwhile, we have been preparing the Dhoklis {step 2}, that we have to add now to the dal that is being simmered. 
As the dhokis are made, add them one by one to the dal that is being simmered. 
{Tip: Add one by one, else all the dhoklis with stick to each other and spoil the full dish}. 

Allow it to simmer in slow flame again for another 5 to 7 minutes. Cover it with a lid, and mix once a while in between, so that the dhoklis do not stick to the bottom. 
As you find the dhoklis have turned soft, transparent, our dal dhokli is done. Switch off the flame, add lemon juice and transfer to a serving bowl.

Garnish with Freshly chopped coriander leaves. 


Serve by pouring Ghee / Lemon Juice / Chopped Onion as per liked.


Submitted this post at -First Blog Anniversary Giveaway! Event, on the 9th Nov 2014

20 comments:

  1. Jeena, this is new to me. I love the idea of a one-pot meal and this is fascinating. I'm so glad you shared it. If I do make this in future I'll surely let you know.
    Congratulations on your reaching your 50th post. Wish you many many more!:) Happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot. You always make me feel appreciated, which helps me do something new...
      Do let me know surely when you prepare it:)

      Delete
  2. Lovely recipe,congrats on your 50 th post

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your 50th post. Wish to see many more of such lovely posts!! :) This recipe is so very well explained..Dal Dhokli looks inviting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh its my pleasure. And Thanks Poornima..

      Delete
  4. Healthy & one of favourite dish.....................................congrats on 50th post.
    www.tastentips.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your 50th post! This looks yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice blog jeena...
    I ended up here when searching for dal dhokli i am sure of making this in this week for sure thank you for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your 50th post:) You have lovely space here. glad I have come across your page :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for your valuable comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...